For me, summer means long days, tons of sunshine, and garden vegetables.
Lots and lots of garden vegetables!
Growing up, my mom always planted a small garden out back and there was nothing I loved more than picking fresh vegetables during the day to make with dinner that night.
If you’ve ever grown your own garden or visited a local farmers market, you may be familiar with, what I call the trifecta of summer vegetables — zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes.
I find myself using these three vegetables as the base for lots of summer meals not only because of their availability but their simplicity as well. They don’t require much prep or a long cooking time like many of the winter squashes do. Just a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of salt and a warm grill are all you need to bring out their awesomeness.
Summer also means fresh garden herbs like cilantro which, when added to the trifecta of summer vegetables, ups the taste and freshness anti. The combination of garden vegetables, fresh herbs and California Avocado? Well now… that may be the start of a perfect summer meal!
Don’t believe me? Give these super simple Grilled Summer Veggie Tacos a try. They are a great example of a summer meal and my new favorite!
GRILLED SUMMER VEGGIE TACOS WITH CALIFORNIA AVOCADOS RECIPE
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 plum tomato
1/2 Vidalia onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of Kosher salt
4 corn tortillas
1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
2 sprigs fresh Cilantro
Hot sauce for drizzling
- Fire up the grill to get the grates nice and hot
- Cut the zucchini, yellow squash, tomato and onion into 1/2 inch thick slices. Toss the cut vegetables with the olive oil and salt
- Grill the vegetables about 2 minutes each side just to soften them lightly and get those beautiful grill marks
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and warm the tortillas while the vegetables cool for a moment
- Cut any larger vegetable pieces and place a few slices of each vegetable on top of the tortillas
- Top each open taco with a slice of avocado, a sprig of fresh cilantro and a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce. Fold the tortillas and enjoy!